The name of the masjid literally means “the mosque of the old fort”, as it was the congregational mosque of the fort. It is located inside the premises of Purana Qila (Old Fort) in Delhi, the capital of India, near the Delhi zoo. It was built by Sher Shah in 1541. The profuse decoration includes stone inlay using red and yellow sandstone and white marble, stone carving, and tile work. The large number of jharokas (cantilevered enclosed opening), and the octagonal turrets at the corners of the back wall are distinctive features of the Mughal style. The prayer hall measures 51 meters by 15 meters, and the center of the façade is 16,5 meters in height.